Five Things You May Not Know About My Time in School Are:
1) Due to hospitalisation on and off when I was little, I spent only a few weeks in my first class at school. I remember my first day there and my teacher (Mrs Simmonds) being gobsmacked that I could read fluently and do addition and subtraction with numbers less than about 20, and feeling puzzled that that should be surprising.
2) Two years later I had great difficulty in learning long division, because I'd made a mistake when learning the algorithm, and kept making the mistake thereafter. If Mrs Ward had been a better teacher, she might have noticed that my error was consistent much more quickly. As it was, it took another year for me to unlearn my error.
3) I was wrongly diagnosed with colour-blindness because the optometrist who tested me said "Tell me the numbers you can see inside the circles." The test showed a circular coloured field of one colour, with dots of a second and third colour scattered on it, the third-coloured dots forming the shape of a digit. Unfortunately the dots were also circular; because she'd said 'circles' rather than 'circle' I reasoned that she must mean the circular dots, and I couldn't see any numbers inside them :(
4) The school doctor also transposed my height (in stones and pounds) and height (in feet and inches) on my medical form, and thus I was recorded as much taller and thinner than I was :D
5) I was out as gay at school and got an antidiscrimination clause written into the school's policy handbook when I was fifteen.
Five Things You May Not Know About the Job (Jobs) I Have (or Had) are:
1) I worked as a nude model for an art class when I was sixteen.
2) My work experience at school was in the soil analysis labs for Fisons in York testing things like copper concentration in farmers' soils.
3) I did sex work to get me through senior school.
4) I still haven't got round to getting a degree, though I've been doing jobs for years that are supposed to require one.
5) One of my jobs involved teaching Tom Robinson's cute brother George how to use computers.
Five Things You May Not Know About My Online Life are:
1) I've been online long enough to have used the ARPANET.
2) I've played the original Essex MUD.
3) I have a USENET fan group, alt.fan.kay-dekker. Don't bother looking - it's full of spam.
4) I met stgpcm on soc.motss, and I almost didn't talk to him because I suspected that he was a troll :D
5) I've only ever sent two mails that I later regretted sending, and I still feel awful when I remember what I wrote.
Five Things You May Not Know About Where I Live are:
1) I live in Coventry, England, just on the border with Warwickshire.
2) "Sent to Coventry" refers to the way in which the good Republican citizens of Coventry treated the Royalist prisoners who were kept in St John's church during the Civil War.
3) Even though it's a mediaeval city, Coventry appears to have no river. It does - the River Sherbourne - but it's very small and mostly runs underground. It used to be much bigger until the Warwickshire canal system was built and diverted the water.
4) Coventry University is in Coventry, sensibly enough, but so is the University of Warwick. Many new students are caught out by this and try to find the University of Warwick in Warwick, which is a small town about ten miles away.
5) Coventry was briefly famous in the 1980s as the home of 2-Tone music.
Five Things You May Not Know About My Core Personality are:
1) I'm very easily hurt by people whom I trust, though I try not to show it.
2) I make friends easily, but the number of friends that I have for whom I'd do anything anytime is fewer than ten.
3) I'm fiercely protective of the people about whom I care, sometimes excessively so.
4) If I'm not careful, I get easily overwhelmed by other people's emotions.
5) I find it very difficult to ask for what I need.
Five Things You May Not Know About My Home Life are:
1) I have a mother, a father, a sister with three children, and a gajillion aunts, uncles and cousins.
2) I hardly talked with my parents for a decade, but now we're pretty good friends.
3) I don't think that I want to move house ever again. I like it here.
4) I have three editions of the Encyclopaedia Britannica (two paper, one DVD) and a shitload of dictionaries.
5) Our fence is painted sky-blue.
Five Things You May Not Know that I Desperately Want are:
1) A wooden bass recorder.
2) A lot more hard disk space and a faster processor :D
3) A new bed.
4) A teleporter so that I can visit all my friends.
5) Fred and George Weasley.
Five Embarrassing Fannish Admissions I Have That You May Not Know are:
1) I still haven't got round to reading the latest Harry Potter book, and I'm not much bothered.
2) I wrote RPS about me and one of my friends.
3) I haven't seen any of the LoTR films, and Tolkien bores me rigid.
4) I've kissed and been kissed by Olivia Newton John.
5) I co-authored an academic paper on Jane Austen's literary style.
Five Things You May Not Know About What I Do in a Typical Day are:
1) Most days I read a book. A whole book. If not more.
2) I nearly always kiss Jus goodnight and miss it horribly if I can't.
3) Even though I take opiates, I have really regular bowels.
4) I probably drink at least two litres of tea a day.
5) I take time to count my blessings.
Five Things You May Not Know that are Really Important to Me are:
1) My sister. We hated each other as kids, but now we're really close.
2) My friends. I know they know I like them a lot, but they don't generally know just how much.
3) My books and music. Not just for themselves, but for the associated memories.
4) My LiveJournal. Diary, confessional, store of memories, my place to be with so many of the people who really matter - and when I started I really couldn't imagine that I'd find much use for it :D
5) My garden. It's not a formal, neat garden - I actually don't much like formal gardens - but it's a connection to the Earth for me.