Coffee, Cake and Kink (link Not Safe For Work!) is a lovely cafe in Covent Garden, London, which (as the name suggests) sells coffee, cake and kink and is under threat of closure. Under the cut text is all the information directly from them about how you can help out. Please do pass the information on to anyone you feel would be interested.
Latest News - 20/12/06
We have thought long and hard whether to keep quiet or whether to share the news with you.
Businesses, we are told, do not share the "behind the scenes" stuff. We, however, think we owe you this knowledge, so here it comes. We have always been kinky – let us be kinky now!
To cut a long story short, in December 2005 our landlord decided that our presence in the premises was no longer required. Needless to say, it came as a shock to us. One does not claw their way through the first years of a business to throw it all away when two years are up. For a year now, we have been trying to negotiate a solution which would work for both sides, with no luck. And so, as Coffee, Cake & Kink notches up its third birthday this December, we are painfully aware that it may be our last. As the last resort, we are going to court next month.
As January is approaching fast, we have taken steps to take care of everyone. We have communicated with our suppliers to make sure bills are paid and we do no harm. We have talked to our wonderful staff. Should things not work out, we have done our best to ensure we leave no mess behind.
All said and done, Coffee, Cake & Kink is NOT lost for now. We are hanging in there with all our might. But, having strained for a year, we have expanded most of our strength, most of our resources, and most of our finance. It is time to ask for help.
You have become more than our customers, we have talked to all of you, and have become good friends with some. Coffee, Cake & Kink belongs to you, as much as it belongs to us - it is in your hands that we place it now.
IF YOU WANT COFFEE, CAKE & KINK TO CONTINUE, THE TIME TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IS NOW.
You can help in a number of ways, here’re some ideas:
1. Come for coffee, cake & kink as you normally do. For now, it’s business as usual!
2. Buy your Christmas presents from us. We have the best selection of goodies to date (more arrive daily) and every pound made goes into our "Future Fund".
3. If you wish to make a direct contribution, make a donation via Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org or to our FUTURE account.
CCK FUTURE FUND
Holborn Circus Branch
6 Holborn Circus
London EC1N 2HP
Sort Code: 30-94-31
TO SETTLE OR TAKE MATTERS TO COURT IN JANUARY WE NEED £15,000.
The running total will be published on our website.
4. Help out. We need short-term assistance in all areas – from admin to flying to legal, financial, PR. We’d love to hear from you if you have the skills, or if you have the time.
5. Please email us at email@example.com or leave a note in our Guest Book when you are around. Tell us what it is you like most about us and what good we have done in your life. (Please excuse us if, in those special circumstances, we may not be able to get back to everyone.)
6. Write us a Christmas card.
7. Come give us a hug. Your moral support is as important as financial one. It is your cards, emails and good luck wishes that keep us going so please do not be shy!
A number of things can happen now. We may have just made Christmas fools of ourselves talking to you unlike "a business" does. "Upsetting our customers" may not look good to our bank. Someone else might try to build a business off our back.
All of those risks we have taken, as you deserve the truth. One thing that outweighs them all is NOT LETTING YOU DOWN.
We would never let down all those who love and support us. Out of respect and love, we would not have you standing in the cold outside wondering where we have gone and why. As long as we can help it, we will continue to provide support, companionship, advice and the save heaven where so many have found peace and also had a great fun.
We are adding last minute forums to our website to give us a chance of a two-way conversation and a place for you to ask questions and exchange thoughts and ideas. We will be there at your disposal whenever time allows. You will be able to access them from our homepage.
Although it’s our third birthday this month, we have put off celebrations for now. There's a big bash coming when we win the fight!
It sounds like rather a good place, though I've not been. Next time I'm in London, perhaps - Greg, Heike, Matt, and the rest of you, any first-hand reports on the place?